In July 2014, I’ll be an Assistant Professor at Dartmouth College in the Geography Department and the Ecology & Evolutionary Biology (EEB) Graduate Program. My research and teaching concerns feedbacks between climate change, land-use change, and ecosystem processes. For more details about the work going on in my lab, see the Research page.
I am currently seeking motivated and creative undergraduate and graduate students to join the lab in Fall 2014 – see the Join the Lab! page for details.
Email: jaclyn [dot] hatala [dot] matthes [at] gmail [dot] com
I am married to Erich Hatala Matthes, a professor of philosophy at Wellesley College who specializes in moral philosophy.
Curriculum Vitae [PDF]
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Dept. Earth & Environment, Boston University
- Ph.D. Environmental Science, Policy, & Management, UC Berkeley
- A.B. Environmental Science and Public Policy, Harvard University
- Assistant Professor, Dept. Geography, Dartmouth College, starting 2014
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Biological Sciences, Grad Program in Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Dartmouth College, starting 2014
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Dept. Earth & Environment, Boston University, 2013-2014
- Graduate Researcher & Instructor, Dept. Environmental Science, Policy, & Management, UC Berkeley, 2009-2013
- Research Assistant, Dept. Organismal & Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University, 2007-2009
- Research Scientist, Yellowstone Ecological Research Center, Bozeman, MT, 2006-2007
Selected Teaching & Mentoring
- Undergraduate Mentor, 7 total independent undergraduate research projects, UC Berkeley
- Graduate Student Instructor, ESPM 111: Ecosystem Ecology, UC Berkeley
- Course Reader, ESPM 6: Intro to Environmental Biology, UC Berkeley
- Course Assistant, EngSci 103: Spatial Analysis, Harvard University
Selected Awards & Fellowships
- Distinguished PhD Student Lecture Award in Environmental Science, UC Berkeley, 2013
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, 2010-2013
- NSF RCN – FORECAST Conference in Woods Hole, MA, Early Career Travel Grant, 2012
- Howard T. Fisher Prize for Geographic Information Science, Harvard University, 2007
- Thomas Temple Hoopes Prize, honorable mention, Harvard University, 2007
- Harvard University Center for the Environment Summer Research Fellowship, 2006
- Hatala, J. A., M. Detto, D. D. Baldocchi. 2012b. Gross ecosystem productivity causes a diurnal pattern in methane flux from rice. Geophysical Research Letters 39(6): L06409, doi:10.1029/2012GL051303.
- Hatala, J. A., M. Detto, O. Sonnentag, S. J. Deverel, J. Verfaillie, D. D. Baldocchi. 2012a. Greenhouse gas (CO2, CH4, H2O) fluxes from drained and flooded agricultural peatlands in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 150: 1-18.
- Ma, S., D. D. Baldocchi, J. A. Hatala, M. Detto, J. Curiel-Yuste. 2012. Are rain-induced ecosystem respiration pulses enhanced by legacies of antecedent photodegradation in semi-arid environments? Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 144-145: 203-213.
- Hatala, J. A., M. C. Dietze, R. L. Crabtree, D. Six, K. Kendall, and P. M. Moorcroft. 2011. An ecosystem-scale model for the spread of a host-specific fungal pathogen in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Ecological Applications 21(4): 1138-1153.
- Hatala, J. A., K. Q. Halligan, R. L. Crabtree, and P. M. Moorcroft. 2010. Landscape-scale patterns of forest pest and pathogen damage in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Remote Sensing of Environment 114(2):375-384.
Selected Conference & Workshop Presentations
- Matthes, J. H., T. Viskari, M. C. Dietze. 2013. Improving long-term forecasts of ecosystem-climate dynamics through community-based model-data fusion. Key Uncertainties in the Global Carbon Cycle: Perspectives across terrestrial and ocean ecosystems. National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO.
- Hatala, J. A., D. D. Baldocchi, N. Kljun, J. O’Connell, S. H. Knox, J. Verfaillie. 2012. Incorporating spatial heterogeneity into the measurement of methane and carbon dioxide fluxes from a restored wetland. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, Abstract B43J-02, oral presentation. San Francisco, CA.
- Hatala, J. A., D. D. Baldocchi, S. H. Knox, J. Verfaillie. 2012. Counting carbon: Methane and carbon dioxide emissions from agricultural and restored Delta peatlands. 7th Biennial Bay-Delta Science Conference, invited oral presentation. Sacramento, CA.
- Hatala, J. A., M. Detto, D. Baldocchi. 2012. Landscape-scale drivers of carbon dioxide and methane flux in agricultural and restored peatlands in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta, USA. 14th International Peatland Congress, Paper 209, oral presentation. Stockholm, Sweden.
- Session Co-Convener, Session B009: Biosphere-Atmophere Greenhouse Gas Fluxes in Terrestrial Ecosystems, AGU Fall Meeting, 2013
- Graduate Admissions Committee, UC Berkeley ESPM Department, 2011-2013
- Graduate Programs Committee, UC Berkeley ESPM Department, 2011-2012
- Committee on the Courses of Instruction, UC Berkeley Academic Senate, 2010-2012